Monday, November 2, 2015

All Hallows Eve & prepared people on the bus

Well first of all, Happy belated Halloween everyone! Another week has gone by in the blink of an eye and many more amazing experiences along with it. I'm really enjoying my time in Canterbury & the people here are really fantastic!

Eventful moments of the week:

On Wednesday Sister Kinnard and I were sitting at the bus stop and a girl came and sat beside us. We were busy figuring out maps, and where we were heading so we weren't necessarily paying good attention to our surroundings. After a few minutes she turned to us and flat out asked us if we were the sister missionaries. Apparently she'd been taught before last year, but lost contact with the missionaries when she went on holiday. She told us she'd love to meet with us to learn more! :) Wow. Later in the week on Thursday when I was on exchange with Sister Epicoco (from Italy), we sat next to a man and started up a conversation with him about the Book of Mormon. He told us that his sister was actually a member in Nigeria, and that he had a Book of Mormon but had never opened it. At the end of the conversation he told us that we'd given him a new found determination to read it and know for himself if it was God's word. How cool! :) Both these experiences witnessed to me just how aware Heavenly Father is of each and every one of his children. Either we'll be lead to his prepared sons and daughters, or they'll be lead to us. 

Just yesterday we had a lesson with R. Because of his background he's been really caught up with the nature of God, and had some pretty deep doctrine questions.. he was going on and on trying to figure out why God would send us to earth and I just turned to him and just said " R, we don't know everything about God, not even close, but from my experiences I know without a doubt that he is loving, and ultimately that's all we need to know." I couldn't even believe what had come out of my mouth, but the spirit was there. He just looked at me in silence for a few seconds and said "thank you". 

On Halloween Sister Kinnard and I went tracting... ;) Just kidding, although we were tempted to go trick or treating and give out Book of Mormons instead of taking candy. We actually had to stay in for the night, but we watched a documentary about Gordon B. Hinckley with the district and ate lots and lots of M&M's. It was a different sort of Halloween, but I loved it! 

Well I hope you all have a wonderful week full of happy miracles from a Heavenly Father who loves us. 

With love,


Sister Croft
_________________

As far as Halloween in England goes, Rebekah said this in my personal email today:

"Apparently, England isn't as in to trick or treating as America is because from
what I saw there wasn't many kids on the street at all. One unique
tradition that Canterbury does have is a trick or treat thing in the
city center. All of the shops open up and you can go shop to shop
trick or treating for sweets! We didn't end up going because of
mission rules.. but a lot of the members went and they said it was
pretty cool!

Our Halloween consisted of heading inside early and having a pretty
chill night. In a lot of Canterbury, Halloween consists of going to the
pub, gang initiations, and some trick or treating... But President
asked us to be home early so we went to the Jones' house (senior couple
in our area) and watched a movie about Gordon B. Hinckley while eating
M&M's and soup. I know, I know, try not to be jealous. ;) But earlier
in the week we went to a Halloween party at the chapel for the little
kids, so that was pretty fun! We also went to a members house on
Wednesday and decorated Halloween sugar cookies and played
Halloweenish games! It was a different Halloween for sure, but it was
really fun surprisingly. :) One regret that I do have is that I didn't
carve a jack-o-lantern! I wanted to so badly, but we never had time to
buy a pumpkin.. I though about carving a grapefruit, but it just
wouldn't be the same. Needless to say, I'll be carving 2 pumpkins
next year."

And here are some pictures from Rebekah's visit to the Canterbury Cathedral last week. Canterbury Cathedral is one of the most famous cathedrals in Europe seeing as the place has become a pilgrimage site after the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett, was murdered there in 1170. (Geoffrey Chaucer's famous "The Canterbury Tales" apparently tells the story of pilgrims traveling from London to Canterbury to visit the shrine.) As a missionary, Rebekah was apparently able to get in free using her ministerial card. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment