Monday, April 4, 2016

Wise Words & Conference in General

Well, hello dear ones! Another week has passed here in England, and it's good to talk with you all again. :) This week went by in a blur of sun, hard work, wonderful spiritual experiences, and craziness with transfers.

C------'s lesson this week went really well. We planned to start teaching her about the plan of salvation and word of wisdom, but it turned out that we spent the whole time talking about the word of wisdom. During the lesson, she went to her cupboard to pull out some drinks and said, "Would Jesus say eet's ok?" in her strong Spanish accent. She also memorized the five things she's not allowed. We read the scripture in D&C 89:18-20 and she loved it! We did have to explain to her, though, that "health in the navel" does not mean that obeying the word of wisdom would result in her tummy magically flattening once she stopped drinking coffee. ;) Oh, how I love her. She's the best!

We also had a lesson with F---- this week- the man we met last week in "Little Venice." He was more interested in converting us to Buddhism instead of listening to our message about Christ though, so we aren't teaching him anymore.. Oh, F----.

We also had many, many miracles happen in the visitors center this week! I'm always amazed at how many non-members come through, and want to learn more. :) There was a less-active member from Italy who came in this week with her boyfriend. She speaks English really well, but he couldn't understand hardly anything. She said she decided to move to England after she became less-active because she wanted to get away from it all. Ever since moving here, she said she has spotted missionaries everywhere, and has felt the need to come into the chapel. She stayed for about 30 minutes as we showed them a couple of the General Conference talks we have in Italian and watched the Easter initiative. She said she really felt like God was telling her to go back to church and knew how to get her there despite her stubbornness. We got her contact information and sent it to the missionaries in her ward, then she came to general conference a few days later. She seems to be doing great!

Speaking of general conference.. wasn't it incredible!! :) I was super excited that this time I was able to attend all of the sessions, and really concentrate on all the talks. Last time I was on shift for most of the sessions... the Lords work still goes on. I just wanted to share some of my favourite talks and quotes really quickly.

*The Prophet's short but powerful testimony about agency and choices. "We need to choose the harder right, instead of the easier wrong." I love and sustain that man as a living prophet of God! And my prayers go with Him.
*President Uchdorfs expert talk on obedience and the loving shepherd. "Obedience is the life blood of faith." Also his cheeky comment about the "celestial language." (My german district leader appreciated that one.)
*Elder Gongs talk about 6 ways that we can remember Jesus Christ in our day to day lives. "Jesus Christ knows everything we don't want people to know about us, and He still loves us."
*My area president Elder Kearon's powerful, and moving talk about the refugees. "The Saviour knows how it feels to be a refugee, he was one."
*Also, Elder Holland's bold testimony of relying on the Saviour in the not so stable tomorrow. "If we give our heart to God, and love the Lord, tomorrow can be magnificent." And the dinosaur picture was also a highlight. :)

I'm so thankful for these inspired men who lead and guide the church. I know that they are truly called by God, and that they receive revelation for the entire church in the crazy world that we live in.

I hope that you all have a wonderful week! If you missed general conference, stop. Go watch it! It's amazing, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a missionary. ;)


Much love, Sister Rebekah Croft

No comments:

Post a Comment